Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Our Birth Story - Abram John Smith

Wow.. He is here, he is beautiful and he is ours.. I simply cant believe I am so lucky again.

Being pregnant with Abram was a blast... We went to Savannah together on a girls trip.. Chattanooga for a country festival, the beach and all the typical nonsense I seem to get myself and my boys into. As much fun as it was it was also very stressful...

Around the beginning of July I was huge... not everywhere but just my belly... I looked full term and wasn't even 30 weeks yet! EVERYWHERE I went people would comment about my big belly and stare in disbelief if they knew how long I still had to go. To strangers I began lying and saying things like "a few more days"... it really was crazy. When I got back from the beach the craziness of my big belly went from... I have big bumps to a very scary dark place. I went for my normal monthly checkup and when Dr, Harrison measured my belly he noticed that it had grown too much in the 4 weeks. He said it was probably nothing but I needed to go to the Gainesville office for them to do more tests and I had to go right away... So we did more tests and they determined that I had Polyhydraminos..... it is too much fluid in the uterus, here is the definition....

Polyhydramnios (pol-ee-hy-DRAM-nee-os) is the excessive accumulation of amniotic fluid — the fluid that surrounds the baby in the uterus during pregnancy. Polyhydramnios occurs in about 1 percent of pregnancies.
Most cases of polyhydramnios are mild and result from a gradual buildup of amniotic fluid during the second half of pregnancy. Severe polyhydramnios may cause shortness of breath, preterm labor or other signs and symptoms.

So I found out I had a severe case... My fluid numbers hung around between 35-45 and they are supposed to be less than 25 and go down each week. I now had answers for why I was so short of breath, or for my fainting spells and obviously my big bump... but the scary dark place was why I had poly.... it could be for no reason, or it could be a problem with the baby swallowing, other birth defects, cleft lip, downsydrome, a blockage in the stomach or intestines. Ugh... so scary... I had to meet with another specialist but my appointment wasn't for 5 long long days..... luckily, the ultrasound person did a secret 3d ultrasound for me to help me rule out cleft lip and see that my baby at least looked ok... He did and that's where I got the picture for the twinsie post...

so luckily after all that drama everything turned out PERFECT and he looked fine... of course worry was still ALWAYS in the back (front) of my mind.... there is a huge risk for preterm labor however cause the amount of weight in my uterus it could burst at anytime... I had a big boy in there and about 6 liters of fluid! They said to expect delivery around August 11th!!!

Luckily he stayed put... which is great cause he is healthy and safe inside me BUT it was a nightmare for me. I couldn't walk far, stand up for long, sleep in bed, etc. but it was going to be all worth it... When things got really bad or hard I went and sat in Abe's room and cried and prayed and JUST knew that we would get through it!

And we did.... see part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment