Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, May 20, 2013

Tonsils and Adenoids Part 3

Sunday morning was rough.... He had such a laid back Saturday that I knew it wouldnt be the same luck for me. We got up and I thought he was awake.. He wasnt thrashing but he wasnt normal. He wouldnt drink and he was grabbing his throat, I tried to give him his medicine but he just spit it out on me... I was getting so fustrated.. He was getting so fustrated...We went to the couch where Daniel got up and came to help. We got him to take some medicine but he couldnt drink... I then started giving him Gatorade through a medicine syringe and that seemed to help or make him come around... We were lazy for awhile after.... Sunday he was good... He gave up the paci and the medicine but was still a little whiny.. We went to Gigi and Papa's for dinner and he was such a good boy.. He still wasnt into eating but I feel like we have a few days to really dive into that issue.

We went home and Oliver was wide awake.... he couldnt get comfortable or still when we were going to bed at 11pm.. I was over exhausted from cleaning all day. Earlier Prince Oliver informed me that our floor had lots of dirt on it and he didnt like to step in it. (Nice, huh) Finally he went to sleep and Daniel and I were following right along... Oliver was sweating so bad.... like bullets of sweat... I remember telling Daniel how I once googled night sweats in kids and how of course it meant cancer. We went to sleep...

And not even 2 hours later Oliver had a night terror... I dont remember why we knew this was what it was but we tried comforting, waking, pulling him out of the room to calm.. nothing for like 20 mins... Finally he went back to sleep... Then poor Daniel started his sneezing fit... neither of us slept.... Daniel sneezed and I was on Google, WebMD, Baby Center.... all finding out that it was indeed night terrors!

My readings lead me to see that it happens in less than 10 percent of children after surgery, most commonly tonsils and adenoids... Night terrors peak at age 3 and 1/2.... 2 checks.... It could be worse after having caffeine or lots of sugar late in the day.. check 3... it could be worsened by weaning off medicine. 4 checks... the kicking could get very violent... check 5.... it could last for 2 weeks!! OMG! I read that you shouldnt try to sooth them, they cannot hear you... just be there, make sure their surronding is safe so they dont get they dont get hurt by their thrashing or kicking and let them get through it.. they will not remember it when they wake up.. which was soo good to hear... After that he had two more.... It was horrifying to not calm and comfort him and make it better but I think it was the right thing... The last one seemed shorter by maybe seconds and the kicks were the most violent so maybe he was fighting off what was going on. I dont know.

It definitely is the scariest thing I have ever dealt with as a parent.... We both prayed so hard last night... It not only hurts bad cause its my child but he is such a good strong boy through all this.. So trusting and brave... He even said that Jesus and God and Grandpa John were with him through his surgery.

I know we will get through this... I know it will make our love for Oliver greater.... I know it will make us better parents... I know it will make us wiser... and I know it could be worse.

I just want my baby back!

No comments:

Post a Comment